The Badminton Jump Smash is the most powerful shot in badminton.It is a Smash performed in mid-air.
Why Perform the Jump Smash?
- To create a steeper angle.
- It is more powerful than the normal smash.
Tips to Hit a Powerful Badminton Jump Smash
- Get into Position and Adopt the Forehand Grip.
- Move quickly and get BEHIND the shuttle.
- Stand firmly and maintain good body balance.
- Ideally, your body should face sideways. Both your feet should also point towards the side of the court.
- DO NOT tense your body muscles.Tensing your muscles will restrict the mobility of the muscles. Therefore you won’t be able to perform a maximum swing.
2.Raise your Racket Arm and Non-Racket Arm
Stretch out your Racket Arm as far as possible. At the same time, raise your Non-Racket arm to counter the weight of your Racket Arm.
3. Jump into the Air and Timing
- Use your Racket Foot to push your body up into the air.
- Time your jump! Ideally, you want to start your swing at the peak of your jump.
- This should also be your highest contact point with the shuttle. Since this is a jumping smash, getting the right timing depends on how high you jump.
How to Use the Jump Smash to Win Rallies
- Use this when the opponent returns a poor quality shot. i.e. the shuttlecock flies high in the air and will land somewhere at your mid-court.
- Use it only when you’re prepared and when the shuttlecock is still high in the air.
- The best time to hit the badminton jump smash is when you manage to force your opponent to Lift the shuttle high up to you.
Before hitting the jump smash:
- Stand at a firm position before taking the shuttle.
- Have good body balance before and after you do a jump smash.
- Be VERY QUICK to return to your base.